Monday, October 13, 2008

Ruining It for the Rest of Us

I really hate it when people that aren't good at a subject don't even make the slightest effort in it. There are people that have difficulties but study and do the homework, and there are people like me who, not meaning to toot my own horn, are just academically gifted and can dominate (or at least pass) tests even without doing the homework.

In APUSH, there are people simply not doing the study guides or looking at the book before a quiz and getting appalling grades on the test. When you know you don't the subject and do nothing about it, then you're bringing the rest of us down. Ms. Thomas is scolding our class for this kind of thing, and I fear she is going to assign notes or something like that on every chapter from the book to make sure we are reading (instead of just making our study guides due earlier) for a grade. I would if I were teaching APUSH. But I'm a student, and I sure as heck don't want to have to do that.

I also hate how the stock market is ruining it for the rest of us. If I was born three, maybe even two, years earlier, I would have gotten off to college just before the bottoming out that began last month (and had been leading up to that for some months before that). Now, suddenly, I have a whole lot of other things to worry about. In fact, we all pretty much do, which makes it tougher. I know scholarships mean that much more, which is why I really need to have a repeat performance of last year on the PSAT on Wednesday. And I still need to take the SAT sometime soon so I will have my results in time to dual enroll in calculus at FSU. And I need a job for money to buy a car and insurance and then start saving for the rough future. I've heard it could take more than a decade for the economy to fully recover. A decade ago, I was in first grade. I was short and small and didn't have glasses and could one day be anything I wanted. Now I have to think serious and practical. I would've still had to do some of those even if Americans weren't so stupid, but it's even more important now.

I hear "Barracuda" by Heart on the radio all the time now. I probably like Heart and Sarah Palin more than the average guy, but you're starting to make the song get annoying.

No comments: